Tortilla Soup w/ lime
Tortilla Soup with Lime recipe from Down to Earth Organic and Natural.
Updated: Tue, 09/11/2018 - 7:57am
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for shallow frying
- 2 roma tomatoes, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, minced
- 1 quart homemade or store-bought vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon clove powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
- 4 small corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Avocado slices, to garnish (optional)
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add minced garlic, tomatoes, pepper, and onion, season with a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until completely softened but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, lime, and spices to the pot. Bring to simmer and hold for 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup oil in wide-mouthed pan and heat. Once the oil is hot, add tortilla strips and fry until tortilla strips are mostly crisp all over, about 3 minutes. Transfer tortilla strips to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- Assembly: Add soup to bowl, top with tortilla chips, avocado, and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!