Taco Rice with Homemade Vegan Sour Cream
This is a fusion dish that originated in Okinawa, but it combines everything that we love here in Hawaii - flavorful food on top of freshly cooked rice! Who could resist?
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup cooked rice of choice
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- ¼ cup salsa of choice
- Optional: ¼ cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 cup vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos or tamari
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 pack silken tofu, soft
- 1-2 teaspoons ume plum vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Sautee onion and garlic until fragrant. Add all the Taco Meat ingredients and turn down heat. Let simmer until liquid is fully absorbed.
- Make sour cream by blending silken tofu and ume plum vinegar until very smooth. If you can’t find ume plum vinegar, use lemon or lime juice instead.
- Layer your taco rice bowl: Rice on the bottom, then lettuce, taco meat, cheese, salsa. Top with sour cream and enjoy!