Vegetarian Meat Loaf
This dish is a great way to transform leftover grains, beans, and vegetables into a very hearty and inexpensive meal.
- ½ cup BBQ sauce of choice
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Dash of hot sauce
- Safflower oil to cover pan
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 celery stem, diced
- 1 package vegetarian "ground beef" or 2 cups TVP or cooked whole grains or beans
- 2 teaspoons ground flax
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine Sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño, celery and vegetarian "ground beef". Sauté until lightly browned. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Place flax in a small bowl and add just enough water to cover. Stir well.
- Combine sautéed mixture, flax mixture and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour mixture in an oiled loaf pan, patting to spread evenly.
- Cover meat loaf with Sauce, spreading evenly.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Serve on a large platter or slice into individual servings. Enjoy!