The ideal barista/cashier is someone who is passionate about coffee, and creating incredible guest experiences that embody the true spirit of aloha. Prior food or coffee service is helpful but not required if you have the right attitude and values and are willing and eager to learn! Operate cash register to itemize and total customers’ purchases quickly, accurately and in a pleasant manner, while offering exceptional customer service.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Exhibits high standards of ethics, honesty, trust, accountability & respect at all times.
- Able to be friendly and helpful in dealing with customers and with a variety of situations and personalities.
- Able to read, write, and speak English well.
- Able to work well with others as a member of a team.
- Able to follow directions with a good attitude.
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Basic math skills, make change, add, subtract, multiply, and divide.
- Previous cashier experience, preferably of at least six (6) months.
- Previous natural foods retail experience preferred.
- Essential Job Functions
- Find out what the customer wants: engage customers by using the 10/4 Rule: If a customer is within 10 feet, make eye contact with the customer and smile. If a customer is within 4 feet, visibly acknowledge the customer and greet them
- Get the product for them accurately, politely, and enthusiastically (APE): Either get the product, or take the customer to the product, or to the department/area of the store, that the customer is asking about.
- Attendance at work is regular and punctual
- Be productive
- Know, understand, and support the company’s purpose as stated in its mission statement, core values, and other corporate governing documents.
- Know, understand and follow the company’s policies and procedures as outlined in the team member handbook and other documents.
- Know, understand, follow and ensure customers receive a 100% satisfactory experience by constantly utilizing the:
- 3 Steps to Giving Great Service:
- Figure out what the customer wants using the 10/4 rule – 10ft make eye contact, 4ft acknowledge and greet the customer,
- Get it for them- accurately, politely, and enthusiastically,
- Go the extra mile – do something the customer did not ask for will make them feel special.
- 5 Steps to Handling a Complaint:
- Acknowledge the Complaint,
- apologize: Be Empathetic,
- Make it Right,
- Thank them,
- Document Complaints – Report to the MOD.
- 3 Steps to Giving Great Service:
- Work cooperatively with all fellow team members to ensure the success of the business doing whatever is necessary, even if it is not specified within this job description.
- Communicate well with all Team Members at all times, politely and professionally, including responding when spoken to and acknowledging Team Members.
- Observe safety and security procedures, report potentially unsafe conditions, and use equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance at work and mandatory meetings is regular and punctual.
- Maintain a neat appearance, in compliance with uniform and dress codes.
- Ring up customers, record prices and departments, subtotal taxable items, and total purchases on cash register.
- Collect cash, check, or charge payment from customer and make change for cash transactions.
- Count money in cash drawer at the beginning and at the end of work shift and balance drawer.
Down to Earth offers a friendly, team-oriented work environment with great benefits including vacation, paid holidays, company-paid medical insurance, a store discount, free access to nutritional supplements, 401k, career training, entertainment discounts including movie tickets, sporting events, shows, Disneyland and more, credit union membership, access to computer training modules, mentorship program and more. Some restrictions apply.
See our website for more details: https://www.downtoearth.org/about-us/employment.
$16.00 per hour, commensurate with experience and education.
See Why Our Team Members Love To Work Here
31% of our total team members have been with us for 5 years or more!
To Apply For any position, submit an electronic or paper application to your store(s) of interest. Please see our employment page for more details. It is not necessary to follow up on application submission. We will call applicants whose experience and background match with job requirements. *Applications are required for hiring. The fastest way to be considered for a position is to submit an application.
* Down to Earth stores are located in Honolulu, Kakaako, Kailua, Pearlridge, Kapolei, and Kahului. Please see our employment page for job opportunities at these other locations.
Make this a career, we actively promote from within! "Being part of the Down to Earth Team is more than a job, it's a lifestyle. It's a great way to Love Life!" - Jashi D., Store Manager at DTE Kakaako