Thursday - March 7, 2013
The 19th annual PrimeTime Wellness Fair will feature 90 booths offering health screenings and healthy-living information, 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at Blaisdell Exhibition Hall. The event is free. At 11:45 a.m. sharp, be front and center at the Down to Earth booth, where chefs will present “Eating Healthy with Fresh, Local Produce,” demonstrations of tofu and vegetable dishes.
Down to Earth chef Mama T offers a brunch recipe combining tofu, soy sausage and spinach. SCRAMBLED TOFU & SAUSAGE 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided 1/2 cup finely chopped onion 1-1/2 cups chopped mushrooms 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 (14-ounce) block extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry 1/4 cup nutritional yeast 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1 tablespoon soy sauce 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, coriander, turmeric and sea salt Water, as needed.
- In skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add onions and sauté a few minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook 5 more minutes.
- Crumble tofu into pan (some large chunks are OK) and cook for 15 minutes to slightly brown.
- In small bowl, whisk together nutritional yeast, lemon juice, soy sauce, spices and salt. Add a few tablespoons water.
- Drizzle mixture over tofu and stir well. Tofu should be coated with nutritional yeast and slightly sticky. Add carrot and stir to combine. Remove from heat and transfer to large bowl.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Crumble in sausage and cook until just browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in spinach and add tofu. Toss to combine. Serves 6 to 8.