Vegan Kalua Pork
Get that smoky local favorite with a vegan twist! This versatile and easy seitan steps in for its meaty counterpart.
- Safflower oil
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons nut butter
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce or ½ Tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 cup chopped local onions
- 1 cup chopped local kale
- 1 cup chopped local green cabbage
- ½ cup organic vegetarian chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8” x 8” glass baking dish with safflower oil.
- In a large bowl, combine gluten, paprika, nutritional yeast and seasonings.
- In another large bowl whisk together water, nut butter, liquid smoke and soy sauce.
- Make seitan by mixing together wet and dry ingredients until dough forms. Knead gently into a round, firm ball.
- Press dough ball into baking dish until it fills pan evenly. Using a sharp knife, cut into cubes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Remove from baking dish and shred pieces by hand, with a knife or pulsed a couple times in a food processor.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon safflower oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add vegetables and sauté for a few minutes, until onions are soft.
- Add broth and seitan to skillet. Sauté for 5-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Serve as is or in a sandwich. Drizzle with your favorite barbeque sauce, such as our Spicy Smoked Pineapple BBQ sauce. Enjoy!