by Down to Earth
April 13, 2012
Honolulu, HI (May 8th, 2012) – When a group of friends in Wailuku, Maui decided in 1977 that they wanted to help improve the health of Hawaii residents through organic and natural products and a vegetarian lifestyle, no one could have predicted their success. Considered unconventional at the time, their vision of a healthy lifestyle is now a part of the American mainstream.
Today, Down to Earth has become an iconic part of the local landscape with five locations: Honolulu, Kailua, Pearlridge, and Kapolei on Oahu; and Kahului on Maui. We are Hawaii's only all-vegetarian food store chain and one of only a few in the nation. "Our success has been built on our unshakable commitment to our vision of helping to improve the health of Hawaii's island communities, and to our customers," says Mark Fergusson, Down to Earth Chief Vegetarian Officer (CEO/CFO). "We have earned our customers' loyalty due to our uncompromising dedication to this commitment. We remain a community-based business whose mission is to promote healthy living, respect for the environment, sustainable organic farming, and a vegetarian lifestyle." "Our Anniversary is as much a celebration of the success of our vision as it is of 35 years of service to Hawaii," he added. To celebrate, Down to Earth has planned a month-long series of May events that culminate with a great sale. 35th Anniversary Sale! On Friday, May 25th all Down to Earth locations will invite you to "Celebrate our 35th Anniversary with 35% off 35 of our best-selling items!" Click here for details!
Cooking Classes: Let's Party! In honor of our 35th Anniversary, all classes during May will have a celebratory (party) theme. There will be recipes for vegetarian, vegan, and raw foods. No reservations required.
- Honolulu – Vegetarian Chef Saradha Johnson, 1st Saturday of the month, 11:00am – 12:00pm
- Kailua – Vegetarian Chef Trisha "Mama T" Gonsalves 1st & 3rd Tuesdays, 4:30pm – 5:30pm
- Pearlridge – Vegetarian Chef Cynthia Cruz 1st & 3rd Mondays, 5:30pm – 6:30pm
- Kapolei (Weekly) – Vegetarian Chef Andrea Bertoli, Wednesdays, 4:00pm – 5:00pm and 5:30pm – 6:30pm
- Kapolei (Monthly) – Down to Down to Earth Love Life! Team, 3rd Saturday of the month, 11:00am – 12:00pm
- Kahului (Weekly) – Vegetarian Chef Jessica Oshier, Every Tuesday, 5:30pm – 6:30pm
Candy Diaz Sings Live!
- Kailua – 2nd and 4th Thursdays in May
- Kapolei – every Tuesday in May
Wellness Lectures "Healthy Living: making an impact on blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, and weight naturally," by Carmela Wolf, manager of Down to Earth's Wellness Department at the King St. location. Carmela has a lifetime of experience in wellness, including a Master's of Science in Oriental Medicine and she is a licensed acupuncturist.
- Kapolei – Saturday, May 12th (11:30am – 1:00pm) - Reservations Required
- Honolulu – Thursday, May 17th (5:00pm – 6:30pm) - Reservations Required
- Maui – Saturday, May 26th (1:30pm – 3:00pm) - No Reservations Required
Raw Foods Demo with Guest Chef – Jessica Simmons Learn how to make a sampling of dishes from raw foods.Chef & Nutritionist, Jessica Simmons’ vibrant raw food menus include: Warm Cheesy Herb Tomato Soup, Mediterranean Kale, and Fresh Fruit Cobbler. No Reservations Required.
- Kailua – Saturday, May 26th (11:00am – 12:00pm)
- Kapolei – Saturday, June 2nd (11:00am – 12:00pm)
Gift Basket Raffle
- At all store locations – gift Baskets will be displayed in the beginning of May. Winners will be drawn on the 25th.