Photo: Older Couple Walking on the Beach

by Manjari Fergusson

Now that it’s finally cooling down after our mega hot summer, exercising outdoors is finally more appealing.  And with Thanksgiving and Christmas just around the corner, staying in shape may be an even higher priority, so you can enjoy holiday fare without the extra weight gain. Below are some tips to keep you fit all season long.

Great time to hike. There’s a plethora of hikes all over the State. Here are a few of the best on Maui and Oahu that you can look up online:

  • Oahu: Manana Trail, Nuuanu Trail, Judd Trail, Maunawili Falls, Manoa Falls.
  • Maui: Pipiwai Trail & Waimoku Falls, Waihee Ridge Trail, and many trails off Hana Hwy.

Check out Na Ala Hele's comprehensive statewide hiking trail information.

Cool AMs and PMs. With mornings and evenings cooler now, these are excellent times to go for a stroll or power walk through your neighborhood or nearby walking trails. But remember, with the sun rising later and going down earlier, don’t let your safety be compromised: wear reflective workout clothes or bring a light so others can see you.

Be practical. Set small, realistic goals to keep you motivated, such as exercising for 20 minutes every Monday morning, or doing 10 squats at the end of every workout. Fall is a good time to change up your routine too, so you’re not bored and don’t get stuck in a rut.

Take it easy, stick with the 80:20. Don’t be too hard on yourself when it comes to diet. Try and adopt the 80:20 rule, which is eating well 80 percent of the time while being a little less strict the other 20 percent of the time.

Make it an appointment.  Schedule your workouts like you would schedule any other part of your life, such as important meetings. Pick times that work for your schedule and stick to them. Make it easier on yourself: if you’re planning a morning workout, have your clothes ready the night before or even sleep in them so you can get up and go. If you’re planning to exercise after work, take your change of clothes with you.

Keep hydrated throughout. Remember, just because the weather is cooler, you still need to keep hydrated, even if you don’t feel as thirsty. Always have a water bottle on hand when you’re working out, and drink periodically.

Eat well to train well. Fueling up on lots of seasonal fruits and vegetables will help keep you energized and healthy through the fall season. Pears, apples, grapes, cauliflower, squash and pumpkins are just a few that you can incorporate into your daily routine.

Track it! Try to keep track of your daily or weekly fitness routine by writing down what you did, or by using an app such as My Fitness Pal or Fitness Builder. This will help you see your progress and keep you motivated and accountable.

These are just a few tips that might help you keep fit and stay active as the seasons change; luckily here on the islands, exercising outdoors is an option all year long. Take advantage of living in paradise!