by Manjari Fergusson
On the hunt for the perfect Mother’s Day gift ideas? Whether you’re a mother wanting to treat yourself, or whether you want to show love to your own mother, here are some gifts for mothers of all ages:
- Enjoy an at-home spa treatment with bath essentials, including natural sponges, facial products, cosmetics, essential oils, candles, bath salts, and relaxing music. Treat yourself or make a spa-basket to give your mother. Down to Earth has some great brands to choose from, including Emani Vegan Cosmetics, Gabriel Cosmetics, Andalou, Mychelle and John Masters.
- Organic dark chocolates: Everyone loves chocolate, but dark chocolate is often the healthier choice due to its lower sugar content, plus the antioxidants in cocoa beans can reduce cell damage from heart disease. Studiesi have found that polyphenols found in cocoa actually improved insulin sensitivity, even in non-diabetics. Good brands include Green & Black’s, Dagoba, and Chocolove.
- Gift Certificate to DTE: For the gift of healthy local, organic, and natural foods, supplements, and body care products.
- A fitness package: Consider fun fitness items such as a Hydro Flask water bottle, organic cotton tank top, electrolyte packets, a yoga mat, and a gift card to yoga classes.
- Beauty products: Put together a gift basket with products such as Cosamo hair color, Surya henna products, assorted hair serums, Alaffia Everyday coconut shampoo and conditioner (a fair-trade certified company), Alba Hawaiian shampoo and conditioner twin pack, henna tattoo kits, assorted lotions/body butters, shower gels, bath salts, and perfumes from Kuumba Made, Maui Excellent, or Pacifica roll-on perfumes. Some great make-up brands include Gabriel, Zuzu, and Andalou 1000 Roses facial line (the first entire face/skin/hair-care line that is non-GMO verified).
- You can find other natural living comfort items perfect for your mom at Down to Earth, such as neck pillows, Chico bags, Omisax bags, tea bottles, candles, candle diffusers, Himalayan crystal salt lamps, Backjoy posture products, wine glass sets, and assorted kitchenware products.
- Gift of the great outdoors: Enjoy a rejuvenating picnic on Mother's Day with a healthy, tasty lunch at the park or beach with loved ones and family. Swim, play volleyball, or enjoy a relaxing hike or walk.
- Yummy baked goods: Treat your mother (or yourself) to some healthy homemade desserts, using these recipes from www.downtoearth.org:
- For elderly moms, give the gift of time and support: Be your mom's health partner by taking her to her doctor visits, keeping up with her appointments, helping out with groceries or meal planning, and making sure she is eating and living well.
- Also for elderly moms: Offer help with chores that she is not able to keep up with or doesn’t have the strength to do, such as yard work, laundry, dusting, cleaning out the fridge or cupboards, rearranging furniture, cleaning windows, organizing, etc.
i Endocrine Abstracts (2014) 34 P206 | DOI:10.1530/endoabs.34.P206