by Manjari Fergusson
One of the most fun ways to live a healthy lifestyle is to make sure you’re living an ACTIVE lifestyle. That’s right – exercising and engaging in physical activity doesn’t have to be torture! And as much as you might want it to be, it’s not an option to not be physically active if you want to have a healthy life.
Don’t worry; it’s never too late to start! The benefits of exercise are too numerous to list, but they include prevention of chronic diseases, weight loss and maintenance, muscle strength, improving mental health, and longevity.[i]
At least 30 minutes of exercise a day is recommended for adults who are healthy and able. You might be surprised at how easily this can be accomplished! For National Physical Fitness and Sports Month, here are some tips to help incorporate more physical activity into your life:
- If you can walk somewhere or ride your bike instead of drive, do it.
- Skip the elevator and take the stairs.
- Join a class with a friend, so it’s more fun and you have more motivation.
- Look up different hikes in your area, and go at your own pace.
- Enjoy bike riding, rollerblading, tennis, or even walks along the beach for some fresh air while getting your heart rate up and blood pumping.
- Don’t forget to stretch before and after! Yoga is also a great option for your daily activity. Join a class or watch a video on YouTube and do it in your living room.
- Have fun swimming and doing laps -- they are great for strengthening and burning calories, and they can help you beat the heat of our Hawaiian summer months!
- Take the extra step by actually joining a gym; the monthly payment gives you extra motivation to get your money’s worth, and most gyms have classes you can participate in, or the option of consulting with personal trainers who can teach you good habits and set you up with a beneficial workout routine.
- Gardening is another form of exercise that may be appealing, and you can enjoy the vegetables you grow by using them in healthy meals!
As you can see, incorporating more exercise into your life doesn’t have to be a drag or something that’s really hard to do. But it is imperative if you want to live a healthy -- and happy! -- life.
[i] President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition, “Be Active”, President's Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition. https://www.hhs.gov/fitness/be-active/importance-of-physical-activity/in...