This Thursday, July 16, the Maui County Council is scheduled to vote on a bill to protect taro from genetic modification. Maui residents should contact their council member to ask them to vote in favor of protecting taro. The following is from KAHEA's, The Hawaiian-Environmental Alliance, email dated July 9, 2009:
Last month, the Maui County Council heard two days of public testimony on the proposal to protect taro from genetic modification. Maui taro farmers were out in force and gave excellent testimony in defense of Haloa. Of course, corporations like Monsanto, Dow Chemical, and Syngenta have also been making their rounds to Council members, trying to erode support for natural taro in order to safeguard their corporate profits. The pressure from the corporations is immense and the threat of a bill in the legislature that could undo county-protections is growing. That's why Maui taro farmers are asking for help to convince County Council members stand strong, support natural taro, and uphold truly local decision-making.
Please take just a minute to make phone calls today:
- Mike Molina (Haiku, Paia, Makawao) 270-5507
- Gladys Baisa (Kula, Pukalani, Ulupalakua) 270-7939
- Joe Pontanilla (Kahului) 270-5501
- Jo Anne Johnson (West Maui) 270-5504
- Danny Mateo (Molokai) 270-7678
- Sol Kaho'ohalahala (Lanai) 270-7768
- Bill Medeiros (East Maui) 270-7246
- Wayne Nishiki (South Maui) 270-7108
- Michael Victorino (Wailuku, Waihee, Waikapu) 270-7760
Ask them to support Bill 09-100 and help protect taro from genetic modification.
Council members are expected to make a key decision in this process by July 16th, so please, please, please call them today. Your phone call could help to extend the shield of protection for taro to one more county.