In honor of March being National Nutrition Month, we decided to seek out advice from one of our favorite Nutritionists, Carmela Wolf! Carmela is the Wellness manager at Down to Earth. She’s known for her vibrant, friendly personality, along with her wealth of health information. To share Carmela’s knowledge, we’ve created a “Wellness Wednesdays” series!
Each Wednesday, Carmela highlights a different supplement or product. She selects products that are on sale and provides a run-down on why and how you can implement that product in your daily life. To get to know Carmela a little better, we asked her some questions about her own health journey:
- When did you start working at Down to Earth? Almost 12 years ago, April 29th 2007.
- What sparked your interest in Health and Nutrition? When I was 18 I started working at a gym as an aerobics instructor and then a couple of years after decided to study to become a certified Personal Trainer. Part of those studies included nutrition and I saw how important it was for our health, mood, and energy. So I kept reading in my spare time and eventually I entered a Masters program in Nutrition Science and continued studies in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Do you have a favorite exercise? Not one in particular because I like to mix it up or cross train: bicycle, power-walk, strength train, yoga...I used to surf a lot. I really need to get back in the water more often, that's so much fun.
- What piece of advice would you share with someone just starting a vegetarian diet? Try something new every week if you can. Go for variety; in veggies, fruits, grains, lentils/beans, nuts and seeds. This way you'll find the foods you like best, new favorites, and a better chance to get a balance of the nutrients you need. Be adventurous and enjoy!
- Do you have a favorite fruit or vegetable? This is an impossible question, I like soooo many. I always have blueberries, mangoes, and apples at home and all sorts of greens. But I have to say I have been having lots of fun with cauliflower lately. It's so versatile; as a substitute for rice, mash (instead of potatoes), and for pizza crust. It's lots of fun experimenting and delicious.
Remember to check our Instagram each Wednesday for Carmela’s latest recommendations! Is there something you’d like to learn more about? As Down to Earth’s Nutritionist on Staff, Carmela has a wealth of information to share. Send in your questions to email@example.com or message us on Instagram and Carmela just might select your question for the next Wellness Wednesday topic!