Summer is in full swing, which means it’s picnic season – time to dust off the picnic blanket, gather with your loved ones, enjoy the gorgeous Hawaii weather, and of course, eat lots of tasty bites! You can always pack the healthy basics, like crackers, chips, nuts, and dried fruit, or you can ditch those and dig into these alternatives in your picnic hamper.
- Flax crackers and hummus – whether you make your own, like this Caramelized Onion Hummus, or buy from your local Down to Earth store, hummus served with Flax Crackers is a hearty, sensible picnic food.
- Skewers – because biting food off a skewer is always more fun! Whether you go for fruit or Grilled Veggie Kabobs, skewers travel well, are utensil-free and easy to eat on the go.
- Quinoa salad – a refreshing salad such as this Quinoa Tabouli Salad will fill you up and deliver a healthy dose of veggies. Quinoa also holds up a lot better in the heat than pasta or rice.
- Sushi – these rolls make a great, easy-to-pack addition to your picnic spread! Choose whatever fillings you like – we love these Vegetable Sushi Rolls.
- Wraps – sandwiches are a picnic staple, but it’s fun to opt for wraps instead, especially if you use something different like an oversized lettuce leaf or collard greens like these Green Wraps with Herb and Nut Cheeze. Wraps are also better protected than sandwiches and easier to eat with one hand.
- Fruit salad – whether cut up in a Summer Fruit Salad or whole, fruit is a healthy sweet treat for your picnic basket.
- Cookies – healthy homemade cookies like these Maple and Tahini Cookies can never go wrong at a picnic! Leave out the chocolate chips, otherwise you might end up with a melty mess.
These picnic foods taste best in the sunshine so head to the nearest beach and bring your brightest blanket!